Real Weather Diversion

One of the joy’s of being a VFR rated pilot is getting a cross-country flight completely planned, checking weather and loading up the family for a day at the airport only to get to fly for 30 minutes and land because the weather forecast was COMPLETELY OFF!  Weather was forecast for today as partly sunny to cloudy, but with cloud bases several thousand feet above my planned altitude.  There was a SLIGHT chance of rain this evening night but I planned on being back on the ground by 2:00pm.  I pre-flight the plane, take-off and notice that the clouds looked a lot lower than forecast.  I decided to change my altitude from 3,500 to 2,500 feet to be safe.  After requesting flight following from Fayetteville Approach, I settled in for a quick cross-country.  That was sunk by the controller letting me know that there was moderate precipitation at my destination and it was headed my direction and would be at Sanford within an hour.  Cancel cross-country and head back to land.  It was a virtual aviation traffic jam at KTTA with all of the planes trying to land ahead of the weather.

Someone told me once that stockbrokers, weathermen, and politicians are the only professions where you can be wrong ALL OF THE TIME and still keep your job.  Today was proof.


Checking Out in New Plane.

On January 31, I met back up with Richard to start getting checked-out in one of the Club’s Piper Cherokee’s.  This plane is a 4-seater with a 160 hp engine.  It outweighs a Cessna 152 by several hundred pounds.  With this plane, I will be able to complete the training for my instrument rating and can carry the whole family or just larger passengers than the 152.  The Cherokee is much more stable in the air than the 152 and was a joy to fly.



I am trying to clear up the time to attend Instrument Ground School on Monday nights, but that is dependent on school and work schedules.  It is only offered once a year so I really don’t want to miss the opportunity.